Venison quality

Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Venison quality

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Hi,

The last time I was sitting on my hunting tower irl, after hours of waiting (apparently, we do not have the same wild boar population as in the game :o) a young boar appeared. It directly turned away from me and as my goal is more to harvest premium class venison than getting a trophy there was no chance to shoot it.

I started thinking, that in the game I probably would have taken the shot and - as I am typically using enough gun - probably would have even got 100% trophy value.

What is you opinion about either a bonus for a clean shot (lung, heart, liver) or a slight reduction in case stomach and/or intestines are hit.
Pure brain and neck shots are to be discussed as they prevent bleeding out and therefore also slightly decrease venison quality but far less then a shot to far back.
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Venison quality

Post by OldMtnMan »

In real hunting i'll pass up every shot that isn't a clean double lung shot. I've noticed i'm taking shots in game I never would in real hunting. It's a bad habit and I need to stop doing it. Animals in game deserve the same respect as real animals.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I should also add to what I said if we're talking about the taste of the meat. An un-spooked animal that's dropped on the spot will taste better than a spooked animal, or one that runs after the shot. Always use enough gun to kill on the spot. I use the caplock and some think it's weak. I agree at longer distances. Up close it hits hard and has no problem with bull elk and grizzlies.

This won't matter in game unless you want to make it a sim as much as possible.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

What do you mean by, "bonus"? You already get 100% HV for a well placed shot the drops that animal.

Although I'll admit the whole Trophy Integrity / Wound Time / Harvest Value system could be improved, It's already meant to consider the overall "value" of the kill, including the meat.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
EthanRanft
Tracker

Post by EthanRanft »

Dr_ViEr wrote:Hi,

The last time I was sitting on my hunting tower irl, after hours of waiting (apparently, we do not have the same wild boar population as in the game :o) a young boar appeared. It directly turned away from me and as my goal is more to harvest premium class venison than getting a trophy there was no chance to shoot it.

I started thinking, that in the game I probably would have taken the shot and - as I am typically using enough gun - probably would have even got 100% trophy value.

What is you opinion about either a bonus for a clean shot (lung, heart, liver) or a slight reduction in case stomach and/or intestines are hit.
Pure brain and neck shots are to be discussed as they prevent bleeding out and therefore also slightly decrease venison quality but far less then a shot to far back.
How are you gonna get venison from a pig?
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

EthanRanft wrote:
Dr_ViEr wrote:Hi,

How are you gonna get venison from a pig?
The pig had venison for lunch.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You ate it's stomach?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:You ate it's stomach?
Waste not, want not.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, chow down.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Deconstructed wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:You ate it's stomach?
Waste not, want not.
Eat it here, stuffed and boiled..........Venison Haggis.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”