Bear Camo

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Bear Camo

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Here is the truth of the matter. The biggest giveaway are levels of ultra violet in the color of the clothing. That is why the hunters in the 50s, 60s 70s were able to dress almost anyway they liked. Back then there were not high levels of ultra violet brighteners added to our washing powders to make the colored's "brighter than Bright " A good piece of advice is to wash your hunting clothes in water only, no washing powder added. Including any camo you may have. Washing them in brightening washing powders is like hunting with a flashing neon light on your head.
The link below explains deer vision in greater detail.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hun ... 0911220291
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

There are UV killer sprays you can buy to kill it. There are also Detergents made for hunters that have no brighteners. It's all I used on hunting clothes.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

Arm & hammer laundry detergent does a great job and is really cheap.
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Yes, that's one that works that isn't specifically made for hunters. Cheaper too.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Dug out this old thread to add to it some information on the recent developments in hunting camo.
It goes into deer vision more deeply than the last link I included with my comment, and explains the new direction recent developments in hunting camo is taking.
Of course, it is an advert for the new camo being developed, but still interesting for all that.

https://www.hunterselement.co.nz/pages/ ... QMmebYND1A
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I read nothing new on the website. The same stuff I knew decades ago. Camo is not needed in the real world unless you're trying to hide from another human. It was made for fighting in a war to fool humans and it's still what it's good for.

You won't fool animals by what you wear. Not moving fools animals. You can wear all the fancy camos you want and if you move you'll be seen by animals and they'll spook.

That website is selling camo and the goal is to fool humans. Only the gullible will fall for it.

You know better than to fall for it Dan.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

The point of my my post is not about the camo but the insights they provide into how deer vision works and is different from our own.
Not everyone is as fully informed as some of us.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
FullDiesel
Tracker

Post by FullDiesel »

Especially Caribou, have a keen UV vision. The reason is the fact that wolves fur absorbs UV light while the surroundings bounces it. We humans can't see UV light but it behaves like all light, so basically what absorbs the light heavily appears black, therefore the wolves appear completely black for the Caribou, even if they are well camouflaged into the environment.

So @DanthemanBoone is right about this, I just wanted to point this out as I couldn't open the link he provided considering deer vision.
Elmer Fudd is the ultimate hunter. He never catches the wabbit, but he never gives up ;)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

FullDiesel wrote: I just wanted to point this out as I couldn't open the link he provided considering deer vision.
Sorry you couldn't access the info. I tried the link on my post and its still working for me.
If it wont go direct perhaps try copying and pasting it into your browser to see if that will work.

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”