Caplock

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Caplock

Post by OldMtnMan »

Please please please remove the scope screws in the barrel. It's a big eyesore to real muzzleloaders. Nobody leaves the scope screws in the barrel and goes hunting. They'll fall out and get lost. They'll gouge your hand at some point. Plus, in the case of the scope you offer. It only uses two of the 4 screws. Scope screws are kept with the scope mount and scope.

The gun you modeled in the game is the Thompson Center Hawken. I've owned the real gun. It has a 1-48 twist rifling and the rifling is shallow. A round ball rifling would be much deeper to grab the patch better and the twist would be closer to 1-70. Thompson Center made the rifling the way it is as a compromise so it could shoot a round ball and a conical. They even developed a conical to shoot is the Hawken called a maxi-ball. It's very similar to the conical that the inline shoots.

You got the ballistics wrong on the caplock. You gave it too much power under 40m and not enough over 40m. The real gun will kill elk at 120m. Had you let it shoot the conical it could kill at 200m. You did a real dis-service to the caplock. It's nowhere near as weak as you made it.

btw...Less than 1% of real hunters who use a caplock will put a scope on it. The inline is made for scopes. The caplock isn't. One problem is the hammer hits the scope. Most guys don't want to bend the hammer so it clears the scope. Plus, they don't want to drill and tap the barrel for a scope mount.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
slugmeister
Outfitter

Re: Caplock

Post by slugmeister »

I too am disappointed in what has become of the caplock. I've been hunting with muzzleloaders for quite a while, and the one in the game is absolutely pathetic by comparison. A 50 caliber ball will double lung a deer or blackbear at 100 yards, and often pass through. I don't have quite the problem with the look though. I own a TC Renegade, but have plenty of experience with the Hawken. I don't think this one in the game is modeled after that. Instead I believe it to be closer to the Pedersoli Hawken, with some artistic add ons. I'm ok with how it looks, and I don't expect a big overhaul at this point in the games history. I do hope they will put the 50 caliber ball ammo back to the way it was, so we can actually hunt with it again. It's completely useless as it is, bows are way more powerful.

I do think we need another muzzleloading rifle though. We need a proper flintlock rifle. My vote is for an American longrifle, but a German Jaeger would be just as good. No need to over complicate it. Just make it look like an original, not a replica. Open sights only. Round ball only. And make it lethal. In the real world, a 54 caliber round ball is legal for any big game, including elk and moose in all 50 states. They are very effective.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

The reason I think the Hawken in game is a Thompson Center is because the inline in game is the Thompson Center Triumph. I figure they got permission from TC to copy their models. It looks exactly like the TC Hawken to me. It's a bad copy of a Hawken and i'd never buy one. The one I had I took on trade. I sold it right away.

The TC hawken in game has a 28" barrel. Real Hawkens have 32'-36" barrels. The real Hawken didn't have any brass on it. The barrel twist is all wrong on the TC. As is the stock and buttplate shape. Trigger guard is all wrong too. It's as far removed from a real Hawken as you can get but TC sold a bunch of them because most guys don't know the difference.

In 1970 I had a custom muzzleloader builder build me an exact copy of Jim Bridger's Hawken that's in a museum now. It's a beautiful gun but weighs 11lbs. The average Joe wouldn't want a gun that heavy. The TC gun in game only weighs 8lbs. Very similar to modern rifles.

Anyway, the caplock in game is what it is. It's better than not having one at all. I just wish they had picked a more realistic copy of a Hawken. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle would have been a better pick for a production Hawken. I'll admit to being a Hawken snob and have studied them for decades. Going to a Rendezvous and talking and shooting with other Hawken snobs is where i'm the happiest. Unfortunately, we're a dying breed.

I agree a flintlock would be nice in game. We'll never see it though. We'll get some modern abortion instead.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
slugmeister
Outfitter

Post by slugmeister »

While I don't disagree with you, I still have hopes for another muzzleloader in the game. As I said, I wish they did a better job with the cap lock, but that is many years in the past now. A flintlock just seems a natural addition to the game to me. A couple extra accessories, both flints and balls for ammo, a new animation for priming the pan, and there you go. The only other thing it needs is a .035 second delay for firing. I only hope guys like you and me can be involved this time to correct their mistakes.

Also, again to any dev reading this, the .50 ball ammo NEEDS to be fixed no matter what.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'd gladly help with developing a flintlock. A nice long rifle from the late 1700's would be nice. Use a powder horn for loading instead of the speed loaders they use now. Nice easy to see open sights. No scopes!
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”