CVA Percussion .50 Caliber Muzzleloader Mountain Pistol

juanmi650
Spotter

Re: CVA Percussion .50 Caliber Muzzleloader Mountain Pistol

Post by juanmi650 »

OldMtnMan wrote:My dad always used a Win model 70 in 30-06. In his honor i'll use the gun that comes closest to it. The Stetzen 30-06. I'd prefer an American bolt action gun in 30-06 but we strangely don't have one. Even though it's the most popular gun used to hunt in the US. A country that has 15 million hunters and we don't have the most popular gun used by them.

Most popular gun.....Remington 700
Most popular cartridge..........30-06
A beautiful weapon indeed.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I goofed and can't use the Stetzen.

I'll use the Weatherby .340 mag. Dad would approve and so do I. I wish it was a lighter caliber but it's all we have, so i'll use it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I found what i'm looking for. I really want to find a gun to honor my dad. I found the perfect gun and I don't know how i've missed it up to now.

In the WW2 war they had moved from the M1903 Springfield rifle to the M1 Garand. However, they were short of rifles at the start of the war and used the M1903 Springfield to supplement the shortage of MI Garands, Dad got one of those M1903 Springfields and he talked about it saying it was a good rifle and also when he got to like the 30-06 cartridge. After the war he even bought a M1903 Springfield that came up for sale and hunted with it a few times. I completely forgot about that. I was reminded when I was looking at the items on sale now and there was the M1903 Springfield. I didn't even know it was in the game. It has a really bad open sight that I could never use. It's made for young soldiers with good eyes. It has a scope. A fixed power 4X with a goofy reticle but it's better than the open sights.

So, I have dad's gun and i'll use it full time from now on. There's even a bonus to this gun. It's called a Springfield because it was made by the Springfield Armory in Springfield Mass. I was born, brought up, and learned to hunt in Springfield Mass. I'd pass the Springfield Armory all the time going to school. The last perk is it uses the favorite ammo of dad and me. The Nosler Partition. :)

https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/.30-0 ... tion_Rifle
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

It may not be a muzzleloader but being a 1903 gun it is 119 years old.

So, we can't call it a modern gun.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
juanmi650
Spotter

Post by juanmi650 »

OldMtnMan wrote:It may not be a muzzleloader but being a 1903 gun it is 119 years old.

So, we can't call it a modern gun.
Trusty old springfield. He kicks like a mule and the rifle is really beautiful. I used it for a while and I think I will go back to it. You've reminded me, I'll drop 45-70 for a bit and go back to 30-06 Springfield.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

This post should drive you nuts. If the others haven't already.

Everytime I settle into using a modern or any CF gun I start to feel bad. No matter how good or bad the gun is. The Springfield is a nice gun but I knew that from messing with my dad's gun. As much as I like using what dad used he never wanted that. He always told me to do my own thing and to never copy him just for sack of copying him. He knew if anybody did that they'll never really be happy. He never liked muzzleloaders but supported me because he knew how much I loved them. If he was alive today I know he'd be telling me the same thing about the game. Do what you love and forget what others think.

My problem with the caplock is every now and then I get charged for a shot I didn't take. I wasn't sure it was happening but I wrot it all down as it was happening and sure enough when the hunt showed up on my stats a shot I didn't take showed up. It's recorded as a miss. This drove me nuts because I put too much importance on my stats. It ruined the game for me. I know I can shoot and seeing misses was more than I could handle. I know nobody cares and nobody would bother looking at my stats but that didn't matter. I could see it.

So, in the middle of a hunt in a comp I decided to stop looking at my stats, levels, skills, and achievements. Just do my hunts and enjoy them for what they are. Muzzleloader hunts for elk and maybe a muley now and then. If I ignore my stats they can't bother me.

So, back to my 1840 no aid hunts with the caplock. I'm sure I can stay with it now that the stats are not involved anymore. Yeah, I know. I said that before. Fair enough. Let's see if I can do it. I know I can.

No more posts like this. I can't believe any of you read them. I wouldn't.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
juanmi650
Spotter

Post by juanmi650 »

OldMtnMan wrote:This post should drive you nuts. If the others haven't already.

Everytime I settle into using a modern or any CF gun I start to feel bad. No matter how good or bad the gun is. The Springfield is a nice gun but I knew that from messing with my dad's gun. As much as I like using what dad used he never wanted that. He always told me to do my own thing and to never copy him just for sack of copying him. He knew if anybody did that they'll never really be happy. He never liked muzzleloaders but supported me because he knew how much I loved them. If he was alive today I know he'd be telling me the same thing about the game. Do what you love and forget what others think.

My problem with the caplock is every now and then I get charged for a shot I didn't take. I wasn't sure it was happening but I wrot it all down as it was happening and sure enough when the hunt showed up on my stats a shot I didn't take showed up. It's recorded as a miss. This drove me nuts because I put too much importance on my stats. It ruined the game for me. I know I can shoot and seeing misses was more than I could handle. I know nobody cares and nobody would bother looking at my stats but that didn't matter. I could see it.

So, in the middle of a hunt in a comp I decided to stop looking at my stats, levels, skills, and achievements. Just do my hunts and enjoy them for what they are. Muzzleloader hunts for elk and maybe a muley now and then. If I ignore my stats they can't bother me.

So, back to my 1840 no aid hunts with the caplock. I'm sure I can stay with it now that the stats are not involved anymore. Yeah, I know. I said that before. Fair enough. Let's see if I can do it. I know I can.

No more posts like this. I can't believe any of you read them. I wouldn't.
I've read it and it's a great reflection friend.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thank you.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”