Mardi Gras 2023

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Hornet_17
Spotter

Re: Mardi Gras 2023

Post by Hornet_17 »

Thanks for this new original event.
Mission done too here, let's go to find some wood grouses and try the comps now.
Good job again EW's Team :)
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

jack30286 wrote:It took a couple of attempts to get him. The real trick seems to get within 20 meters of the bear without being noticed (recommend using scent eliminator spray). If you can crawl with inside 20 meters just stand up with your favorite weapon and get read to fire. I use the same tactic to get moose to charge. Hunting the bear over a bait barrel 20 to 25 meters away from your tree stand would greatly increase your chances and if you fail to get the bear to charge it will usually be back in around 11 minutes.
The tree stand was my original plan - have not tried it so far. The problem, I see is that there are typically more than one small bears around. Which one will charge first? Gonna try it this evening,
Spoiler:
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

Typically when a big bear comes into the bait barrel the smaller bears leave unless the bears are similar in size. I would only come down from tree stand when the target bear was facing me at around 20 meters away. A few other pointers would be to enter tree stand so when you exit you are facing bait barrel, use scent eliminator, have pistol in hand before exiting tree stand, bring med kits, and finally be patient if the bear fails to charge the first time he will usually come back .
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Dr_ViEr wrote:Any advice for the bear?
That seems to be the most difficult requirement in this mission.
All my barrels in RFF are in swampy areas. theHunter animals do not attack across water, so when ever I approached a bear, it just ran away. I ended up just running after a bear. When it couldn't cross a river, it turned around and charged me. I shot it in the middle of the reet barely seeing it coming. That was good fun.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

jack30286 wrote:Typically when a big bear comes into the bait barrel the smaller bears leave unless the bears are similar in size. I would only come down from tree stand when the target bear was facing me at around 20 meters away. A few other pointers would be to enter tree stand so when you exit you are facing bait barrel, use scent eliminator, have pistol in hand before exiting tree stand, bring med kits, and finally be patient if the bear fails to charge the first time he will usually come back .
Thank you. Maybe I am going to take the x-bow. In that case it will die even if the shot is not so well placed.
Depends on size, as I am still looking for the 220kg bear for the last RFF travel mission wich requires the pump action. Maybe I can combine it.
Spoiler:
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Tree stand directly (15m) at a barrel works pretty well!
Spoiler:
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Are these missions (the Party Animals mission and the Campaign to mass harvest Wood Grouse) like the Daily missions, where the hunter that harvests the animal has to have shot it to get credit, or are they like the regular missions where you can make a specific shot for friends and let them harvest the animal for credit?
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Just shot a 215kg Black bear at 5m in a full on charge and it didn't record? Checked its status and it says "walking". ??????????
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

muldo wrote:Just shot a 215kg Black bear at 5m in a full on charge and it didn't record? Checked its status and it says "walking". ??????????
Black bears can change state a lot in short time when cornered. They run, trot, charge, walk, run...
Also they tend to charge by running a few meters, then stop, readjust, charge again, or run away.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/muld ... /929700204

You will have hit it when its state was "walking", maybe a split second before or after it was charging.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Thanks Hoo, it seemed like it was at full pace at the time I pulled the trigger.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”