Holiday Event 2022

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Re: Holiday Event 2022

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Thank you for the the event.
Was again great fun!
Nevertheless - but that is just my opinion - I think the events are too long. Although nobody forces you to choose the event reserve, the chance of getting a event animal is a strong motivation to go there.
I would appreciate if events would only last one week, because that would increase the character of being something special.
But as I said, that is just my opinion!
Spoiler:
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

There is another moment here. Events of this year are longer, but in a compensation the tasks of missions are much harder to complete if you do not play few hours per day, and I typically have one task not completed when the event closes.
For example, something happened to density of rudolphs this year. I shoot them each other hunt in previous years, this year I even did not see a single one in 24 hunts.
Something similar was on Halloween. Lots of axis around but no one that satisfied the task conditions.
So, it was more complex for me to complete the event missions this year, than in previous years when I was less experienced player.
And yes, the game masters need to do something with values of 'presents' for completing missions. Because 10 min run on WRR coast gives more score points than 2 h hunt.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
chris22lr

Post by chris22lr »

Agree that there was something funky going on with Rudolphs - throughout the two weeks I haven't seen a single one, only four "mythical" females (none of which counted for the mission). And I essentially shot every single male reindeer I could see - thing is, I haven't seen as many of regular males as in the last years. I can't really say why that would be, maybe something changed in the number of herds, or their behaviour? When I first started playing theHunter in 2017 I remember it was fairly easy to catch up to the herd if you found their tracks. Now when I was following herd tracks, I could only catch up to them when they were already on the reserve border.

Apart from the failure to catch Rudolph, I liked the mission and comps - they always get me to either hunt animals I don't usually go after (brown bears, ptarmigans), or hunt my favorite animals in a different enviroment (roes and foxes). But last few days, when I got every other species except Rudolph, left a bitter taste for me. Don't get me wrong - failure is part of the game, but with how the spawns work in theHunter, I feel like I failed not due to my own limitations, but due to RNG.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

In my experience, the way reindeer have worked the last several years is that the longer you play in a single session, the more you will start to see. They function in a similar way waterfowl do. Most (not all) aren't even on the map when you start. They spawn at the edges outside of the map boundary and just stand there for a while. Eventually, something will trigger them to run across the map. If you bust up a herd via spooking, they typically won't leave the map, at least not for some period of time. Injure the male and the herd will never leave. Early on in a hunt I hardly find reindeer no matter where I start on the map. About an hour into the hunt, I go to a few different favorite spots and often find reindeer in abundance, frequently multiple herds at once. This event was the same for me as reindeer spawns have been for the last several years I've been here and I had no problems finding rudolphs or mythical females. My guess is that there's 2-4 rudolphs on a map at a time, I couldn't guess how many mythical females as I really didn't pay much attention to them.

I think the presents were fine. As you can see in this thread alone, one person said they weren't worth enough and should be more equal to harvests. Another person says a quick run on WRR picking up presents yielded more points than a two hour hunt. You can't please everybody, and I think what we had was a pretty good balance. It kept the importance on hunting and made the mission a little more difficult to find those couple less common present colors.

I also appreciated the event length. It gave me time to participate in the mission, a couple competitions and a few rudolph hunts. I even got to help a few people work on the mission, all while staying pretty busy in the real world what with it being the holidays. For the larger events like the holiday event and Halloween, I think the two week time period is great. Especially if they only really impact one reserve (present collectibles are hardly a negative on other reserves, they're also few and far between unless you're sprinting around on WRR).

I thought it was another enjoyable event. It did highlight the track disappearing bug that has been around forever, but I feel like I hadn't seen it for a long time prior to this event. I had it happen many, many times during this event where brand new tracks would disappear in front of me as I walked up to them. This is an old bug though so it doesn't surprise me. I haven't seen it on any other maps, so I'll be optimistic that it was just tied to the event and will go away again.
splainin2do
Outfitter

Post by splainin2do »

I agree. I liked the 3-day/5 competition feature, as just having an entry in each gave me 500 present$ towards the total. That helped out a lot during this busy time of the year. My hubby neglected to do that correctly (he plays full screen in MP mode all the time so the game doesn't pause while he's doing other things), and although we put in a good effort in the last 2 hours, he ended up being 14 animals short of the 200 em$ prize. :? Maybe next time he'll listen to my advice, though- I had him do a SP game for the last comp and he won 50em$ and a trophy! ;)

I was happy that animals shot on other maps counted towards the total points needed, as I do the Daily Missions and other competitions as well, so I can't (nor would I want to) stay in one or two maps for days on end. This applies to presents found on all maps as well. I didn't encounter disappearing tracks, but any hunt I do will rarely exceed 3 hours; I'm not sure if that's a factor or not.

Thanks again for the fun event! (Speaking of events, will the giant turkeys ever make a comeback? ;) :lol: )
Working 2 jobs doesn't leave enough time for hunting! :(
"...but catching you is going to be impossible." Radamus

Return to “Official Community Competitions”