Can't Connect to Game Server?

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
and145
Scout

Can't Connect to Game Server?

Post by and145 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing this game for 10+ years and have had this problem occur before but typically it simply went away after a few hours. This time the problem persists now after a couple days and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on. The problem is, when I go to launch a game whether it be single or multiplayer it tries to load the game from anywhere for a few seconds up to maybe 30 seconds and then I get an error code saying can't connect to game server. During the few seconds while I try to load the game, if I have my steam window up (as I have dual monitors), I can see that my internet signal randomly drops off and says, "No connection" and then once the game gives me the error code and exits my internet signal comes back. I believe I had read of another person having a similar issue but don't recall ever seeing a response to it, so I'm here to ask if anyone has a helpful solution to this? Because I can play any other online game on this computer just fine. Also, I have another gaming laptop on the same Wi-Fi, and it can play thehunter classic perfectly fine... no issues once so ever. I prefer to play on this computer that is now having issues because it can handle the graphics much better than my laptop. I appreciate any help that you all as the community can provide.

Thank you,
Andy
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Can't Connect to Game Server?

Post by JimboCrow »

1.) Have you tried clearing your game and launcher caches, and/or uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

2.) Download the newest Wi-Fi driver for your computer's motherboard, and uninstall the existing driver(s) completely before reinstalling the newest driver. (Remove ALL previous Wi-Fi drivers.)

3.) You probably also have a LAN ethernet adapter(s) on your desktop, and should try disabling your LAN device(s). It may be that the game is trying to establish a connection through your LAN instead of your Wi-Fi. Alternatively, you could try disabling your Wi-Fi and playing the game through your LAN device with a tested ethernet cable.
Colin Walker
Scout
Location: ScouseLand, United Kingdom 53°28'58.9"N 2°52'51.4"W

Post by Colin Walker »

Make sure your dedicated and integrated graphics card drivers are up-to-date from NVIDIA GeForce Experience, AMD Radeon Software, or Intel HD Graphics Cards.

Make sure your Dedicated Graphics Card is running the game.

Search for, and disable/troubleshoot programs that could potentially interfere with Steam. Most notably:
a) Turn off Steam overlay.
b) Disable background programs for recording and screen capturing.
c) Temporarily disable your antivirus software.

Verify integrity of game files:
a) Via Steam open your game library
b) Right click on the game title and select "Properties..."
c) Select the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click on "Verify integrity of game files..."
d) Start a game session

Perform clean installation on your C: drive following these steps in order:
a) Uninstall theHunter Classic through Control Panel
b) Manually delete theHunter Steam folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\theHunter (if any)
c) Delete theHunter Application Data: Press Windows +R >> type %appdata% >> Press Enter and delete "theHunter", "theHunterSteam", "LauncherSettings_live.cfg", "TheHunterSettings_live", and "TheHunterSettings_steam_live.cfg"
d) Restart your PC
e) Temporarily disable your antivirus and reinstall theHunter Classic through Steam
f) Verify integrity of game files as mentioned earlier
g) Turn your antivirus and firewall back on after testing the game

Uninstall ALL Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables and download all the latest ones from Microsoft Download Centre. Remember that 2012 and later Redistributables do not substitute 2010 ones. You will likely need all of them.

Make sure your Windows Update Centre has been updating your PC successfully. The latest Windows 10 build 20H2 is recommended. Manually check for available updates and make sure that a successful connection confirmed no pending ones.

Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan using these simple steps. If you do not see this message at the end: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations", your Windows will need to be repaired or reset.
Season 39

Range record- Season 23, Season 25, Season 37 Dall Sheep
PB range, Xbow 580.470, Bow 471.180, Rifle 609.050 , Pistol 274.90, No scope rifle 571.280

2016 Season 16
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

One of the key things I noticed when this was happening to me, is that it would take place after I scrolled all the EW Competitions and directly thereafter clicked on "Hunt Now". It seemed to me that there was/is a delay in sending and receiving info from the server- and this would ultimately cause the "Connection Error". What I do now is after I have selected the comps I want to compete in, I log out and back in again- so far this seems to have taken care of the issue, for me at least. ;)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
and145
Scout

Post by and145 »

Unfortunately, this problem is happening yet again. Its honestly very frustrating but also confusing because when the problem does arise it can go from me being able to play the game totally fine in the morning, leaving the game for a few hours coming back in the afternoon to try and do another hunt and now suddenly I can't connect to the game server anymore. And when this problem comes up, eventually it seems to just randomly fix itself (at least it always did in the past), but it might be days to over a week before its "fixed". And then randomly again at some further point in time, I'll have the same problem with not being able to connect to the game server and it'll last days to over a week again. Ive tried clearing caches in the game, I'm reinstalling the game as I type this, but I doubt that's going to fix the issue. If there are any devs on that might have further insight into the issue, I'd love to hear any feedback on how to fix this. To give a litte more information, when this problem occurs, its only with thehunter classic. I can play any other online game totally fine. And I can play thehunter classic from a totally different computer on the same network as my current computer that i usually play on and that computer will run the game no problem. Look forward to hearing any feedback from the community.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”